How to Relieve Plantar Fasciitis Symptoms
If you’re experiencing plantar fasciitis, you know how painful this condition can be. When every step hurts, it can be difficult if not impossible to complete daily tasks. If you’re in pain, there are a few simple remedies that can relieve your symptoms.
What is Plantar Fasciitis?
Plantar fasciitis can be an extremely painful condition in the foot. This is because each and every step puts stress on the plantar fascial tissue. As you walk or even stand the plantar fascia can become inflamed, which contributes to increased discomfort and pain that only worsens over time. The pain associated with plantar fasciitis usually begins in the heel and as the condition becomes severe it can spread through the entire arch of the foot. Plantar Fasciitis should be treated as early in the onset as possible because the longer it persists without proper treatment the longer it can take to heal.
Plantar fasciitis pain is usually the sharpest when you take your first steps in the morning and can make it difficult to step out of bed. This is because throughout a night of rest the plantar fascia contracts and micro-healing occurs. The abrupt stretching of the tissue during those first morning steps causes immediate pain and increased inflammation of the plantar fascia. The pain usually decreases after some movement, but often returns after long periods of standing or when you rise from a long period of sitting. Also, pain associated with plantar fasciitis usually increases after exercise, not during it.
What Causes Plantar Fasciitis?
Often plantar fasciitis is caused by wearing shoes that do not have proper support. Soft, cushy shoes that bend easily generally aggravate the condition, as well as do flat shoes with no support. Other contributing factors can include being overweight, frequent running, and occupations that keep you on your feet while on hard surfaces for long periods of time. Many cases of this painful condition have been found in those who stand or work on cement surfaces all day long.
What Can Relieve Plantar Fasciitis Pain?
We have a variety of products to help you with your plantar fasciitis pain.
- Supportive shoes – Everyone is different! When you come into Peterson Shoes, our trained experts will determine the best shoe for YOU!
- Haflinger clogs – These cork-soled shoes are an excellent house shoe and should be placed on the foot the first thing in the morning before your feet hit the floor! Never go barefoot when you’re suffering from plantar fasciitis. It’s important to keep the arch supported at all times!
- Arch supports – We carry a large variety of over-the-counter inserts to fit your needs.
- Oh Ball and Snoh Ball – These are great products to massage the foot throughout the day. They provide a firm surface attached to a cord for better control. The Snoh Ball is frozen which provides another layer of relief.
- Plantar Fasciitis socks – Specially designed socks improve circulation, ease pain and swelling, and aids in muscle recovery.
- Plantar FXT – Wearing this apparatus at night provides a slight flex to the foot. The combination of the thermal properties to reduce inflammation and stretch the plantar fascia while sleeping promote healing.
While plantar fasciitis is a painful condition, with proper care you can relieve your pain and regain mobility.
Peterson Shoes is a family-owned shoe store and shoe repair shop serving the Anoka, Champlin, Coon Rapids and Minneapolis areas. We specialize in helping fit you in shoes, finding house shoes and providing orthotics that relieve plantar fasciitis symptoms. Come check out our selection of Women’s and Men’s shoes at 209 E Main Street, Anoka, MN.